Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Bike Tour of Luzon 2013 Route

It's a lazy rainy Saturday so I decided to start working on the 2013 bike tour I've been dreaming of. A few weeks ago, I've decided that my target for this tour would be Maira-ira Point in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte. It is claimed to be the northernmost tip of mainland Luzon. Below is a map of the tour. This is still tentative mainly because of 3 factors:
  1. I'm not yet sure about the Bulacan section of the tour. I need to consult friends about the best way through Bulacan on my return trip.
  2. I want my tour to be not just about biking so I also need to consult friends who love to travel about the things I can do along the way. I'm willing to deviate from the main highways.
  3. My ability to secure a leave from work. I need to look for long weekends during the summer months. If I can't take a leave for 3 weeks, then I'll just end the bike tour at Maira-ira, disassemble the bike, and ride the bus back to Manila.

View Tour of Luzon 2012 in a larger map

So how did I come up with this idea of a "crazy" bike tour? I can't remember exactly when but this was about a year ago. I was browsing the internet and looking for stuff about biking and I came across this page of a guy name Dave Conroy. Basically in 2009, he got tired of the current state of his life so he decided to quit his job and sell his possessions to go on an epic bicycle tour around the world (read more about it here and here). I got excited with the idea so I tried to learn as much as I can about riding around the world on a bike. Apperently, a lot of people do this. I've also read about a couple who sold their house to go on this exciting adventure. Plus there's the amazing story of the Biciclown that tours around the world as well.

I knew I wanted my own world bike tour adventure but that would be in the future. But I knew that touring the Philippines on a bike is a more practical short-medium term target for me. I eventually found out that there's already a guy who has gone around the archipelago with just a bike.

Photo from Sir Gilbert's page

Sir Gilbert Dizon (I call him sir when we talk via Facebook) is a guy from Cagayan de Oro. He has biked around the country not only once but twice! His minimalist (all he had was a hardtail mountain bike and his backpack) approach to touring is an inspiration. His adventures show that bike touring around the country doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. My route above is actually based on his second tour.

Now that I have a tentative route, I need to start training to ride 100-130km a day. It's rainy recently so I need to start using my indoor trainer again. I'm not really bothered with having to bike 100km a day. Last Holy Week, I was able to ride 38km using my folding bike. Last year, I joined a triathlon relay team wherein I biked 60km with my racer. My tour isn't a race so I don't need to pressure myself to riding 50 kph in a sustained way.

Oh and I need to save up for my bike.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Omi!

    The hardest part is leaving your comfort zone. :D

    You can do it! Go! go! go!

    All the best,

    Gilbert :)

    ReplyDelete