Thursday, August 1, 2013

Biking Everywhere

So here's a story of three bike parking spaces...

Robinsons Magnolia

Cubao Expo

The office

I wish all building owners and administrators would install proper bike parking facilities in their establishments, just like the one in Cubao Expo. Sometimes, it's not that easy to find a pipe or a railing where I can safely lock my bike. Robinsons Magnolia's "bike parking" space is right in their 2nd level basement parking and it consists of metal pipes that are beside the support columns. But I think the worse part is the very steep ramp that serves as the entrance/exit of the basement parking. I actually opted to walk my bike up the ramp instead of pedaling.

At the office, I only have two choices for bike parking - the railing on the ramps for persons with disability or the window railing. I chose the latter because it's the one found indoors. It's in our fire exit, beside the stairs, so there's not much space for multiple bicycles. I think I'll write our building administrator to provide more adequate parking spaces for bicycles. I just need to scout for a suitable location that I can suggest to her.

Adequate bicycle parking is an important infrastructure not just for current bikers but for potential bikers as well. I believe in the maxim "build and they will come". Once people see that there are proper biking infrastructure in the places they frequent like the malls or their offices, they will most likely be encouraged to pedal instead of drive. Installing these bike parking facilities can go a long way to empower people to bike everywhere.

----

Installing bicycle parking spaces is just the first step. A major policy decision towards a more bike-friendly metropolis is intermodality. And Copenhagen showcases how a city can be so bike-friendly, you can always bike everywhere you want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment